The container DIV should stretch by itself, you shouldn't need any
calculations. If the inner DIVs are floated, just make the outer one
floated too and it will expand to fit.

And you can't get styles before any styles are applied, doesn't make
sense right? :) What you can do is append a clone of them to an
absolutely positioned DIV with visibility:hidden to get the heights.