Try doing something like this;

    <script type="text/javascript">
        var theModelCarousel = null;

        function modelCarousel_initCallback(carousel) {
            theModelCarousel = carousel;
            // Callback functuions if needed
        };

        jQuery(document).ready(function() {
            jQuery('#modelCarousel').jcarousel({
                initCallback: modelCarousel_initCallback
                // Other settings if needed

        function clearModelCarousel() {
            theModelCarousel.reset();
            theModelCarousel.add(0,someImageURL1);
            theModelCarousel.add(1,someImageURL2);
            theModelCarousel.size(2);
        }
    </script>

I set a global variable reference to the carousel from the init
callback funtion. The global can then be accessed from your other
functions.