Long story short, you can't do what you're trying to do. You have some
massive scoping issues. first, anything within you document.ready
function (as defined by $(funciton(){..});) that gets declared in
there is accessible only inside that function itself.

Now, I'm not sure what you're actually trying to accomplish here, as
this example is a bit on the simple side. Could you give a broader
idea of your goal? That'd help in putting you on the right direction
to the best way to get this done (as if you're merely trying to echo a
variable, there's way better implementations than what you've
described).