For example is carousel.has a jQuery function or a carousel function.
I can't distinguish between what is carousel exposed and what's just
being called from the jQuery library when looking at the source or
other people's examples such as http://usejquery.com/sites/296

so back to my original question.  Anyone have a clue how to disable or
enable the next button manually here?