Ok, so their sending back a json response wrapped with method foo.  So
then how would you specify foo in my example as the method to call on
the getJSON script I've created?

I think my example is fine as it is.  We're not going cross server for
now but wanted to understand how to form this and how this worked a
little more.  MK explained the response coming back, a huge part of
this!  The jQuery docs need to explain this, it's pretty inferred to
some who have done this before, but not that obvious to others that
this is how it works...that you are essentially wrapping what you are
sending back in the method that you want to call in your callback.