The type of the data is always string. I also cannot specify the
dataType. If it will be different (HTML instead of JSON) jQuery fails
silently.

I made a litle function to check the string if it HTML or JSON.
It works so far, but is totally inelegant:
        this.isJsonStr = function(str) {
            if (!str || typeof (str) != 'string' || str.length < 2)
return false;
            return str[0] == '{' || str[0] == '[';
        }

Unfortunately I do not see jQuery providing similar function, while
Prototype does:
http://www.prototypejs.org/api/string/isJSON