Yes that is correct you need to separate  the dialog from the open

like this note: I set the autoOpen to false.

[code]
$(document).ready(function(){
        $(".button").click(function(event){
                $("#dialog").attr("title", event.target.id);
                $('#dialog').dialog('open');
        });

        $("#dialog").dialog({
          autoOpen:false,
          modal:true,
          overlay: {backgroundColor: "#000",opacity: 0.5},
          resizable:false,
          buttons:{
            "Delete": function() {},
            "Cancel": function() {$(this).dialog("close");}
[/code]

let me know how that works out for you
Mean Mike