Hi James,

I understand that if they return a 304 headers then that means they
are using the cached version...  that is what 304 Not Modified means.
The problem is that there isn't a 304 Not Modified header when a user
visits the page.  That only happens after the json is loaded.  It is
page cached which means that it doesn't get the if-modified-since
headers correct until after the json is requested once the page has
loaded.  This happens every time the page is loaded, not just the
first time.  This is why I want to browser cache the file.  My json
file won't change that often, but it will change and when it does I
want it to be updated.  So for instance if someone visits my page
today I want the json to be cached.  When they come back in a week I
want the if-modified-since headers to be properly assigned to the date
they last visited.  Currently the if-modified-since header would be
set to the default 1970 date each time they initially open the page.
So on both visits, they would download a new copy of the json data
when they first open the page.  I hope that I am clear in my question
now, because it seems that I wasn't at first.

Is this possible?  If so, how?
Thanks in advance!