jQuery support custom attributes, may be you can post a sample?

Anyway, this works

$(document).ready(function(){
   alert($("[custom='test']").length);
});

<input type="text" id="text1" name="text1" custom="test" />
<input type="text" id="text2" name="text2" custom="test" />
<input type="text" id="text3" name="text3" custom="test" />
<input type="text" id="text4" name="text4" custom="test" />