After very much hassling google, I found the answer to my first
question to be:

carousel.scroll(9)

Basically, to go to image-element number 9, I would need to pass that
into a button. Much simpler than I had expected, and it works just as
hoped.

To the "harder" issue; replacing the External Controls. The problem,
as described, is that the default controls are not paginated in a
favorable manner, and as such I am trying to replicate how the jQuery
pagination (http://d-scribe.de/webtools/jquery-pagination/demo/
demo_options.htm) is generated. Basically, I need to generate that
exact sort of Pagination, where it does not show all available pages,
but limits the number of displayed items.

How would I go about making the pagination without content? So instead
of switching out content, it rather works as regular links (that I
attach the carousel.scroll() function to).