I need a way to debug what is being returned when I use the REMOTE
option.  I cant get the validation to give me an error class when a
duplicate is found.  here is my lookup.php which works perfectly fine
when I use jquery $get to call it.

Lookup.php
<?
$noheaders = "true";  //prevents config.php from loading any header
data such a scripts and styles.
include("config.php");
$table = $_GET["table"];
$key = $_REQUEST["key"];
$value = $_REQUEST["value"];
$failmsg = (isset($_GET["failmsg"]) ? $_GET["failmsg"] : $value.": Not
Found in TABLE: ".$table." for KEY: ".$key);
$foundmsg = (isset($_GET["foundmsg"]) ? $_GET["foundmsg"] : $value.":
Found in TABLE: ".$table." for KEY: ".$key);
$sql="SELECT * FROM $table WHERE $key='$value'" ;
$result=mysql_query($sql);
if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0) {
  echo $foundmsg;
} else {echo $failmsg;  };
?>

Here are my rules:
        var validator = $("#myform").validate({
                rules: {
                        username: {
                                required: true,
                                minlength: 4,
                                type: "GET",
                                remote:
"lookup.php?table=members&failmsg=true&foundmsg=false"
                        },
                        password: {
                                required: true,
                                minlength: 5
                        },
                        email: {
                                required: true,
                                email: true,
                                type: "GET",
                                remote:
"lookup.php?table=members&failmsg=true&foundmsg=false"
                        }
                },
                messages: {

Thanks,