Is there a particularly jQuery-ish way to determine if there is text
selected on the screen? I've googled around for some code on this
subject, but I want to be sure that whatever I use is cross-browser
compatible. It's been my experience that if I let jQuery do the heavy
lifting for me, that my solutions are always compatible across the
major browsers.

What I'm specifically needing to do is see if the length of what the
user has selected in a text field is the same as the length of all of
the text in that field. Make sense? In other words, if I've got a text
box with fifteen characters in it, I want to know the length of their
selection (zero to fifteen).

Thanks!