Can you give us a hint what your DOM elements look like? For example, are
these ID attributes in ascending order in the DOM? That would allow you to
use a very fast binary search. If they are in an undetermined order then
you're pretty much stuck with looping through them - but with thousands of
them I would use a for loop rather than .each().

Or as Josh suggested, do something on the server. But it's hard to make any
recommendations without knowing more about what you're doing.

-Mike