It doesn't matter if they're missing IDs. You don't need the IDs.
(Also, IDs cannot begin with a number. It's not valid.)
All you need to know is how many new messages you received on your
latest update (to determine how many old ones to remove), and your
maximum number of messages to display at once. That is enough info to
do what you want.