Is it a known issue that $.getScript() does not work in Chrome, or
could I be doing something wrong?

I am able to load scripts using this function in any browser, but in
order for me to be able to use their contents in Chrome I need to put
blocks of code in the callback of $.getScript.  While it makes sense
that I would not be able to utilize a script's functions outside of
its callback, why then does it work in both Firefox and IE?

For me using the ol' <script/> works without any issues, but I was
trying to use $.getScript() in place of that for experimental
purposes.  Is this the wrong application for the function?  Should I
only use it if I need to load a script on the fly?

Thanks,
~Ross