> if you put the focus in the textbox (#id1) then click the button (#id2)
both
> events get fired

Jim...

Preventing this occurrence is what I was talking about.  What I do is keep
the
submit button disabled until all required fields have been validated on
blur.
That way you can't have a field that hasn't been validated and have the
submit
button fire, too.  The user has to blur out of the field to achieve
validation
and enabling of the submit button.

Am I misunderstanding?

Rick