Hrmm, Jörn's blog comments said to use [validate] in the subject, but
it looks like that got removed.

There was a bug in the code at the end of my post.  Use this instead

jQuery.validator.addMethod("visibleRequired", function(value, element)
{
    return $(element).is(":hidden") || !this.optional(element);
}, "This is required when visible");

jQuery.validator.addMethod("visibleRequiredFool",
    jQuery.validator.methods.visibleRequired,
    "My specific field is required");