@Dave
> If this problem has a good fix, it should be fixed. There are several
> cases that will break differently in IE when this proposed fix is
> applied. It's not achieving consistent cross-browser behavior. There
> may be a solution out there still, and if someone has one they should
> post it.

I haven't tested it, but did suggest an 'extra check' for opacity in
the sample I gave. Assuming jQuery reports the curCSS correctly, this
would seems to address the 'snap' issue you described...

    if ($E.css('filter') && $E.css('opacity')==1)

FYI, I ran across another example of this issue today. I created a
test page with both a static and popup ui.datepicker. When seen side-
by-side in IE7, the popup (animated) datepicker text is obviously not
anti-aliased as the static version is...

    http://layout.jquery-dev.net/demos/datepicker.html

All UI Widgets using animation look poorer than necessary when used in
*the most common browser in the world*. So if this won't be addressed
in the jQuery core, then every UI widget using animated elements
should be patched to address it. Such a simple, common problem should
not be allowed to affect UI Widgets IMO.

/Kevin