A couple things. First off, the syntax you're using won't get you the
anchor's color:

$('a:link',this).css('color');

This is a shortcut for:

$(this).find('a:link').css('color')

which basically means find the anchors inside this anchor. If you want
the anchor's original color, just use:

$(this).css('color')

Getting the color that is set by the CSS pseudo :hover is another
problem. To get that via JavaScript you'd have to loop through the
stylesheets cssRules and do a regex match.

Michael