Thanks for writing, Dave.  I appreciate it.

Yes, the accordion animation makes 2 panels move a once - one closes,
the other opens.  I never did figure out how to make them synch
better, but the client seems OK with the amount of jitter.  Many
accordion plugins have the same problem.  Any thoughts on how to make
it run better?  I was thinking of changing the accordion animation to
set up a negative margin instead of dropping the width of the panels.
Might that help... something?

One thing I noticed was really odd- FireFox usually runs JavaScript
very quickly and smoothly, but on my fast PC, IE7 runs the animations
much faster/smoother.  Chrome seems to run them the best, but I would
never have guessed that they would run like such a dog.

To make things go even smoother (or so I thought), the slideshow on
the "home" panel pauses when you navigate to another tab.  I figured
that switching invisible images in the background was a total waste of
processing power, so it pauses when you leave the panel and starts up
where you left off when you come back.

Could this just be a problem with all the large images in memory or
something?  I suppose I could set the src of any invisible images to
NULL until they are needed...

So, any more thoughts?  Otherwise I'll just have to tear it down one
script component at a time until it runs smooth again, and then I'll
have my culprit.

Thanks again (to everyone) - I really appreciate the help.

Frank