HI
I am very new to Java scripting. I am stuck at one html page which has 6
<SELECT> blocks with same ID attribute and options in this <SELECT> blocks
are nothing but the links to different pages ( ALL LINKS ARE UNIQUE ) .
This page is dynamically generated by ( Template Toolkit ) so I can not
hardcode the ID.

What i wanted is when user load the page all drop-downs will be at default
value "--select--" and when user selects any option from drop-down he gets
redirected to new page also when he comes back to same page ( via back
button on browser ) it again should be defaulted to "--select--" option.

I managed to do what I wanted via JQuery, But the issue was It never worked
in IE ( worked fine in Firefox )
Here is the code :

$(document).ready(function(){
   $("select#form_action").change( function() {
           var url = this.value ;
           if ( url != '')
           {
               window.location = url ;
               url = '' ;
               $("select#form_action").val('');
           }
   }) ;
  }) ;

Now this didn’t work so I changed <SELECT> block added onChange event and
called the function redirect_to_url but I was not able create my own
function in JQuery It never worked.
So I changed that part to Java script and it worked as expected but here the
issue was I needed to set all drop downs to default values ( --select--)
which I couldn’t do in java script.
Here is Java script :

<script style='text/javascript'>

   function redirect_to_url(url) {
      if ( url != '' )
      {
         window.location = url ;
         url = '' ;
         $("select#form_action").val('');
</script>

So I reset that field using JQuery & other processing using Java script. It
working but I didn’t like it. Can some one provide me solution to my problem
or at least guide me ?
-       Create a function in JQuery and call it via onChange event ?
Or
-       Default the value of drop–down on page load.

Here is Sample HTML I am using :

<thead>
  <th>Region</th>
  <th>Action</th>
</thead>
<tbody>
<select id="form_action" onChange="redirect_to_url(this.value)">
        <option>--Select--</option>
        <option value="http://abcd.cgi?value=001";>abcd</option>
        <option value="http://xyz.cgi?value=001";>xyz</option>
        <option value="http://lol.cgi?value=001";>Lol</option>
</select>

<select id="form_action" onChange="redirect_to_url(this.value)">
        <option>--Select--</option>
        <option value="http://abcd.cgi?value=001";>abcd</option>
        <option value="http://xyz.cgi?value=001";>xyz</option>
        <option value="http://lol.cgi?value=001";>Lol</option>