what you are discovering is the root of most problems  installing one menu in any template with an existing menu will run into css conflicts. The majority of the issues that pop up in this group regarding superfish stem from Joomla installs and the exact situation you are running into

Without using DOM inspectors like Firebug it is almost completely trial and error trying to figure out which rules take precedence for each element or pseudo class ( like hover).

if you haven't already done so install Firebug and you will be able to quickly see the inherited rules for each part of the menu

xantof wrote:
This is a progress report on finding a solution :

If all CSS pertaining to the NAV position in the Template's style
sheet are commented out, then it works.

This is a dirty solution and I would like to find the root of the
problem.  I think it has to do, at least in part with the WIDTH
parameter.

I am progressing with learning CSS, understanding JQuery and overall
trying to figure out how all those files interact to give out the web
page I want.

I still find it hard to follow CSS priorities across the different
stylesheet and identifying the proper Class to modify.

This is where I was hoping to get help.

Keep you all posted.