Thanks Charlie,

You describe the situation perfectly! I am still a tenderfoot at this
game but I am getting my hands dirty.
Priorities is not the easiest notion to grasp.
I am using Firebug but I am not yet fully proficient with all its
functionalities and haven't (yet) got the "method" to move up a trail
of cascading styles.

At this stage, my menu is working with the mods I indicated.  I will
fine-tune it once the new site is up.

You'll be told!