Thanks for your response and your time! I apologize, I still have
everything on localhost. This following is what I could see with
firebug

li class="parent active item1">
<a class="sf-with-ul" href="http://localhost/testsite/";>
</a>

Does this help a bit?

It doesn't seem to be a width problem, because there is plenty of
space in the accordion list (horizontally). If the >> character were
in the same span as home, then it would be in the same line.

What do you think?