snippets of html won't do much to troubleshoot.    95% likelihood the problem is css related and css needs to be viewed in the DOM to work with effectively.

The majority of posts regarding superfish on this board are Joomla related . You can try searching. The original css gets left in when the menu gets installed, try commenting out all the old menu css from template

MozreplGuy wrote:
Thanks for your response and your time! I apologize, I still have
everything on localhost. This following is what I could see with
firebug

li class="parent active item1">
<a class="sf-with-ul" href="" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://localhost/testsite/">"http://localhost/testsite/">
</a>

Does this help a bit?

It doesn't seem to be a width problem, because there is plenty of
space in the accordion list (horizontally). If the >> character were
in the same span as home, then it would be in the same line.

What do you think?