This decision was made as part of our creation and adoption of the jQuery UI
CSS Framework. This offers a set of generic widget classes that we use
across all jQuery UI widgets, and we encourage others to make use of the
same. Then all widgets can be themed with simplicity, using a pre-built
theme, or rolling their own theme with themeroller.com.

http://jqueryui.com/docs/Theming

http://jqueryui.com/docs/Theming/ThemeRollerReady

http://themeroller.com/

jQuery UI Tabs, like other jQuery UI widgets, continues to have
widget-specific classes, as well as more generic css framework classes. They
are summarized here:

http://jqueryui.com/docs/tabs/#theming

Notice for example that the selected tab gets both the ui-tabs-selected
class (tabs specific) and the ui-state-active class (css framework). Both
have the ui- prefix, meaning they're in the jQuery UI css class namespace.
And they're managed by the plugin. For consistency and simplicity, we've
made neither configurable. This is our standard way of communicating on the
identity and state of the selected tab. It's up to the user to either write
a css rule that contains one of these two classes, or manually add some
other class at an appropriate time.

- Richard