I'm trying to do a simple image slideshow similar to what you see
here: http://www.okadirect.com/

When the image changes, I want there to be that sort of "flash" effect
that fades out to reveal the image.

Looking around on the jquery website, I found this
http://docs.jquery.com/UI/Effects/Highlight, which seems to be the
effect I'm looking for, but I can't figure out how to implement it to
my existing slideshow script (which I got from here:
http://jonraasch.com/blog/a-simple-jquery-slideshow

The slideshow script from that website uses a fade in transitioning
effect between the images, which is nice and all, but I've really been
spending hours trying to figure out how to implement that highlight/
flash effect into it.

So, as you can clearly see, I have no javascript experience and any
help would be really really appreciated. It seems like such a simple
thing to do but I can't figure it out