Just start a session by default for any user. Once the user has logged
in, create a new session or simply write new values to it.

When the user requests a page, some code of yours must be evaluating
whether a login is necessary. Ergo, the URL is known to your script.
So, you can then write the URL to the session and pick it up after
redirecting to login.

I'm only vaguely familiar with CodeIgiter but CakePHP can do this
automatically. Perhaps you should check to see if CI has the same
functionality.