Uh, that's not what I'm asking at all.

In the documentation example you're passing .add() the "p" selector
which is a string. I want the end result to be the same except instead
of passing a selector string like "p" I want to pass an existing
jquery object. It doesn't seem to work this way and the only time more
elements get added to to jquery object is if you use a selector.

Sso I want to do more like :
$("div").css("border", "2px solid red")
        .add($(this).children()) //see how this line is different
        .css("background", "yellow");