You can't do xhr-requests from subdomains (or other 3'rd party
domains), it's a browser restriction.
You can however achieve the same effect by some neat tricks.
Here is a good page that explains this well

http://abhinavsingh.com/blog/2009/11/making-cross-sub-domain-ajax-xhr-requests-using-mod_proxy-and-iframes/

You can also use jQuery to fetch JSON from other domains by ajax, but
that's another story.

/ Johan