On Jan 11, 10:47 pm, mikewse <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is jQuery's long-term strategy for browser support - cut off
> browsers after a certain number of years or when going below a certain
> market share?
>
> [I'm asking because of the current trend (among some webdevs and also
> library developers) advocating to remove IE6 support and force these
> users to upgrade their browser.

IE 6 use is 3 times that of Safari (all versions) depending on whose
statistics you believe. Why not drop support for Safari while you're
at it? And Opera and Chrome?

> I work with several clients that do
> not want to "lead the way" in this respect, and need to support IE6 as
> long as it has a fair usage share, which may be for several more
> years.]

That is a sensible decision - they should not care what browser their
visitors are using any more than the colour shoes they might be
wearing. If support for the quirks of a particular browser is already
built into a library, and the library architecture efficiently
implements capability and feature detection to work around them, why
go to the effort of removing support?

--
Rob