Ah, that makes sense now.....  when i did my site's iPhone version I
time and time again was reading of the limits of Safari's cache.....
i didn't fight or test those limits and my site loads/runs just fine
(http://iphone.team-integra.net)...  (any huge delays in loading a
page are from me on the server site loading remote images, resizing
them to a phone-friendly size, and replacing the HTML with this new
image)

There was talk at the jQuery conference in September of the code
getting a mobile-specific offshoot.....  i'm not sure if that was
planned on the 1.4 release (which is now just 30 mins away)