I'm guessing you mean like on google wave.

ok.
AJAX would mean passing data to a file and returning a response to the user
without refreshing the page the user is on.

you could say what you want falls sort of under JavaScript animation

say you have something like this.

<textarea class="editable">My test th at can be edited</textarea>
<label>My test th at can be edited</label>

the above is you HTML markup.
the text area is hidden and the label is shown.
when the user clicks the label you would hide the label and show the text
area. as well as focus on the textarea.
when the users blurs from the text are or presses enter you hide the text
are and show the label. however you update the label text.

var obj = $(".editable");
var lbl = obj.next();
lbl.click(function() {
 lbl.hide();