Hi guys. I'm a jQuery newbie and naturally I have a question. :)

What's the best way to do real-time AJAX calls? I'm developing a web
app that has a functionality which is somewhat similar to Google
Wave's "real-time blip editing feature". Well, you know that thing
where we can see the blip being edited by someone else in real-time?
That's the thing I'm referring to.

What's the best way to do that? One think that I can think of is to do
periodic ajax calls using setTimeout() or setInterval(), but I'm not
sure if that's the standard way of doing this. Can someone point me in
the right direction? Thanks.