Hi Rory

Like you a  jQuery novice, but.... think I can help. Though I agree there
seems to be a lot of code in here/there that is not needed - plus would not
validate against W3C standards e.g. take out the <p> after the </h6> and
replace your  / 's with <strong> / <strong>.

Anyhow here goes - and I have no dobut it can be simplified more

$(document).ready(function(){
$('a.hide').hide();
        return false;
  });

This is a standard a href ="" link with an id of "hide" and makes sure it is
hidden when the page opens

Create another link a href ="" with an id of "toggle"

(OK you can name them what you want)

Then in the head try something like

$(document).ready(function(){
$('a.toggle').click(function() {
    $('.demo').toggle(400);
        $('a.toggle').hide("slow");
        $('a.hide').show("slow");
        return false;

$(document).ready(function(){
$('a.hide').click(function() {
    $('.demo').hide("slow");
        $('a.toggle').show("slow");
        $('a.hide').hide("slow");
        return false;

OK, this assumes that the links - hide and toggle are out site your CSS
"demo" class but you can move them insider the class and hide/show only
based on the links.

e.g.

$(document).ready(function(){
$('a.toggle').click(function() {