On Aug 21, 5:10 am, Peter van der Zee <jsment...@qfox.nl> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Nick Morgan <skilldr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi guys
>
> > Thought I'd share a little toy I just made, to see what you thought:

> > It gives you access to the value of private vars via a safe eval.
> > Thought it might come in useful for testing occasionally. I'm not
> > suggesting using it in production code, just thought it was a nice
> > idea :) So, what do you think?
>
> Personally I'd never use a construct like this. Just expose private
> variables as you go.

Yes.

> Using eval is dangerous,

How? Will it burn your house down?

Seriously, using eval in this case is no worse than a user having
access to the javascript pseudo-protocol in the address bar, or
running a Greasemonkey script, or Firebug.

The security issues of eval (if that's what "dangerous" means) are
often grossly overstated.

> especially because I
> don't quite see the point of the regex.

That doesn't make it dangerous, just unclear (to you).

--
Rob