For Jake Verbaten,
I would say it's not even a vast collection of lazy people that is blame.  I
would say it's the conventions supplied by jQuery where certain underperforming
conventions that are a pain in the ass to natively are made simple by jQuery.
Furthermore this simplicity encourages reuse, which in programming is typically
fantastic, however reusing slow underperforming conventions benefits only lazy
programmers.  As an example take a selector system that encourages use of a
hierarchy of class values.  This example is a pain in the ass to write
natively, which is good, because its slow.

For Nick Morgan,
If you are so slow in your ability to write to the DOM and test the results
cross browser so as to quantify an employer's waste of time then perhaps you
are need more practice in your core competencies as a front-end developer.
Encouraging alternative practices to avoid incompetence in fundamental areas
may not be bad practice except when done in ignorance of what the pitfalls are.
 Knowing there are differences in DOM interpretation cross browser is not good
enough on its own.  You have to know what problems you are avoiding and if
there are costs in using the alternative practice as well as costs to the
product quality in using any alternative approach.  This is a basic risk
analysis.  I generally find it's less costly to avoid the management
complications and hidden costs that come with additional layers of abstraction
regardless of the employer's time wasted in weeding through the fundamental
difficulties of the technology.

Thanks,
Austin Cheney, CISSP