I did not learn to program assembler, do not make the silly assembly to C
comparison. C is a different order of magnitude more high level then
assembly.

On the other hand, yes learn C, yes learn ASM. I regret I don't know ASM, I
should. It's on the to do list.

Yes the vast number of people did use a high level abstraction first, but
that's the wrong way to do it. ideally you do both in parallel. it really
depends whether you are learning or trying to get a job done. If your just
learning then do it the slow and painful way, it's worth it.

If you have a job to do, then cut corners (There might be better corner
cutting tools then jQuery though).