I *REALLY* don't understand the concern about performance. Do you need
to do this within an inner nested loop? How many rows, average and
maximum, are likely to be candidates for this? Unless you're including
jQuery only for its easy selection capability for *this* purpose
(i.e., not for any other uses elsewhere in your scripts), then it
almost certainly is better, for long term maintainability, to use
jQuery rather than native methods. I'd probably cache the reference to
'#x', and use that:

  // later on ...

  $x.find('tr.zebra').removeClass('zebra')

--

hj