I felt that the whole purpose of JSP is to separate business logic from
presentation. The presentation should have minimum programming stuff in it
(since html designers are not strong programmers and may not know java). Let the
business logic is done in servlet and let it generate the results which will be
combined with html pages using templates and generate the final output. This is
the whole purpose of the separation. Using these tags make embedding of java
code in the pages. Think of it similar to XML/XSL analogy. The servlet generates
XML output and provides a xsl stylesheet and the XML page to the XSL Engine
which merges both and generates the final page. The XSL doesnt include code
etc.,.

I am not completely against <% %> tags since they provide enormous amount of
flexibility in the dynamic page that is generated but also makes the html jsp
page a little murky.

Regards

Vijay