Thank you for your response.

Assume that I use Oracle or Informix which supports
SELECT FOR UPDATE. However, I am still not sure how it would work
across multiple web pages the the JDBC connection would be closed.

The user would update the data on Page A and click a "Next Page Info"
link. The user would then proceed to update data on page B., etc

Finally, the use clicks Update . How can I prevent other users to
be able to select the same record for update at the same time ?

As I understand it, I would load the JDBC driver, connect to the
database , perform some SQL statements and close off the connection
withing the same JSP or servlet.

Is the record still locked although my JDBC connection is closed and
can I update this record in another JSP or servlet ?

Regards,
Chee Keong.