When you do the update you would have to include all the modifiable columns
in the where clause for the update statement.

IF you have cols A, B, C, D, E & F

and lets say only A B & C are updateable by any user.

then you would select a,b,c,d,e,f from table

the user would make the changes to columns(corresponding gui controls on the
webpage(s)) then you would have to fire the update statement.

update <set values>

from table
where a = <original retrieve value of a>
and b = <original retrieve value of b>
and c = <original retrieve value of c>

consider this scenario where

User 1 retirieves a record from the database at lets say 3pm
User 2 retrieves the same record at 3:05 pm
User 2 updates the record at 3:10 pm
User 1 tries to update at 3:12 pm

Now if User 1 hits the update button(and fires the above update statement
the update will fail(ie. will not affect any rows) as the original values
retrieved by user 1 have already been changed by user 2.

HTH
Sanjay