hi mike -

        for servlet 2.2 there is a "load servlet on startup"
        feature (http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/2.2).
        the next "non bug-fix release" of jswdk will support
        this feature. at this time, the bulk of the servlet
        2.2 reference implemenation is pretty solid at this
        time, including the "load on startup" feature.

        hope this helps,

- james