Could someone please tell me what the difference between a Service and a
WebApplication is?

Both have docbases, which is confusing me.  A docbase says to me that that's
where the HTTP daemon goes on the file system to find something when a URL
of a particular type is sent.  So I understand that a WebApplication element
requires a docBase and a mapping attribute--the "mapping" is the URL
matched, and the "docBase" is the filesystem location actually consulted.
But a service has no such mapping attribute, so what could it possibly mean
for a Service to have a docBase?

Thoroughly mystified and feeling stupid,
Laird