Hey Chris,

> Karl,
>
> Can you (briefly) tell me what "WAP application" means? Apologies if this
> sounds like a stupid question, but I've just never seen that term before.
>
> I've been following your posts to the JSP listserv, but I thought it would
> be better to ask you directly instead of posting the question to the whole
> list.

Oh, of course, sorry about not explaing earlier :)

WAP or Wireless Application Protocol is a standard for bringing the web to
cellular phones (well, it's really the standard, being backed by Nokia,
Motorola, Ericsson, etc... I think even Sun, Intel, Microsoft and IBM are
members of the WAP forum) and it's one of the most buzziest buzzwords in
Scandinavia right now (with alot of cellphone development being done here with
both Nokia and Ericsson being scandinavian companies). From what I gather it's
not such a big thing in the US. Here the new WAP devices are just starting to
come out and it's a really big thing.

WAP works much like HTTP but is adapted to the cellular world. The page
langauge WML (instead of HTML) is based on XML and is better adapted for being
used with a cellphone in several ways. For example you build "cards" using WML
and in one WML file you can define many cards. This means you can use one WML
file to describe not just a single page, but a navigatable structure.

This is very useful considering a cellular phone might have a very high latency
contacting the WAP server to fetch a new page. Also WML is compiled/tokenized
into wmlc (an xmlc format) to make transport faster over slow (GSM) lines.

For more (and more accurate) information, please visit the wap forum,
http://www.wapforum.com/
For a brief introducation about what it is, visit
http://www.wapforum.com/what/index.htm

Anyone with more knowledge about the actual standard, feel free to chop my
description up to pieces and give a better one :)

Cheers,
Karl Avedal