Hi Joel,

JSP (and servlets) can also use URL encoding to maintain the users
session.  This is where the user's session id is continually appended to
the URL (eg. xxxx.html?session=123xyz) to pass it around from page to
page, rather than using cookies.

It is handled transparently, but you do have to make sure you call an
encodeURL method from the servlet API (sorry, I don't know the exact
call) to generate all the URL's used on your pages.  I would suggest
looking at the Servlet API at the JavaSoft sites for further details.

Regards

Drew Cox
Barrack Consulting