Another possibility is to delay the url rewriting to another servlet that is
chained on the end. I believe the orielly book talks about this (though I may be
wrong about that).

This kind of scheme would become more useful if servlets had some kind of caching
mechanism, i.e. you could say that the engine could reuse the output of the url
/foo as long as the value of parameter bar was the same, but only reuse up to
before the url rewriting servlet, so that each user got their own session
parameters.

I know of other systems that work this way, so maybe we'll get it soon.