Hi Sudha,
    In my humble opinion Connecting to a Database from a JSP is not such a good
idea due to the time taken to connect. However there are many other ways like
passing the request ,etc. to a servlet or to an Enterprise Java Bean to handle the
Database connectivity.

The J2EE has a programming model that merges these methods and you can find it at
http://developer.javasoft.com/servlet/SessionServlet?url=http://developer.javasoft.com/developer/earlyAccess/j2sdkee/download-docs.html

or go to
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/products/j2ee/

hope this helps