Hi Berry,
    I can't comment on that as I use JRun in which it is possible to
have chosen
servlets Pre loaded when the JRun servlet engine is started.
But yes, the general point was that a persistent connection pool would
be a better
solution than connecting to a database through a JSP.
While I am a fan of JSP's I don't think we should try to use them for
everything
but to use them for what they are good at , i.e. separating a web
application's
display from it's internal logic. Servlets on the other hand are to be
used for
what they are good at, i.e. as servers, and servers are for serving
information at
the request of a user, not for presentation logic.

The J2EE Programming model was very useful to me as a way of separating
out the
different modules needed in a web ap.

Karl