A few points.....

Frames are recognised only at the client end, true. But we can always target
a frame. though complicatd It is a once load event.
The frames can then be populated based on the requirement, like just to
change a Advertisement. or the main content, while the navigation bar
remains relatively unchanged,

The only disadvantage I can see is that not all clients support frames.
Others might add few more.

where as the non framed version, I dont know how we could say cache the
images that might repeat, somebody can clear it up,

Does the caching work the same way when we use a JSP/Servlet page, or does
it get reloaded,

though creating havoc on the bandwidth, we could reduce the strain, by
proper content development.

One could use more text, for the repetitive items, like the navigation bar.
or images that are not bulkier.

I prefer the use of single frame for non dynamic content,

but still prefer the frames for lesser load, on the server.

Would like others views as well

Amit